Soto Shu’s presence in Aiea can be traced back as early as July 1904, when Rev. Sokyo Ueoka conducted services from a residential home until November 1906. Nearly 12 years later, a Soto temple was founded in Aiea on July 17, 1918, by Rev. Mokuryu Tsuda.
On July 4, 1924, Rev. Sekizen Arai of Sojiji and Genpo Kitano the head priest of Eiheiji at the time granted this temple its new name, “Shinjuzan Taiheiji.” On November 16, 1926, Territory of Hawaii Governor Wallace R. Farrington formally recognized the temple as “Soto Mission of Aiea.”
On March 1, 1965, the construction of a new temple was completed, replacing the old termite damaged structure that had stood for over 40 years.